Sunday, March 7, 2010

Giving baby a bath in a hotel room?

It sounds gross to me. No one knows if the bathroom gets cleaned for sure and how well. What do you moms do when you have to give your LO a bath in a hotel room on a trip? I am thinking to just try and hold him in the shower and bath him the best I can?





He is 15 months by the way. I don't want him to slip out of my hands lol it gets slippery in the bath. What do you think??





Or I could probably just have him stand up and hurry up and wash him really fast...that might work the best huh?Giving baby a bath in a hotel room?
No, that is a very good question. My mom told me years ago to run a bath full of scalding hot water (as hot as it will go) and let it sit in there for 30 minutes. And then drain...clean hotel bathtub.





Not the most water-efficient strategy...but if I had to give my baby a bath, I would do it!Giving baby a bath in a hotel room?
I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and plus I work in a hotel and have done now for 10 years(3 different hotels) and not once have I ever encountered a bathroom that was not cleaned.


Having said that if you are that scared about it then bring disinfectant wipes and clean it yourself. And also most hotels have non slip bath mats(it is a spec in hotels to stop lawsuits if someone slips but didn't use the mat)





You get what you pay for I will also add. If you are staying in a run down $10 a night motel that also rents hourly, yeah I would likely worry then. But a hotel that has more then 2 employees is probably going to be just fine.
If you've got room in your luggage, there are inflatable tubs for babies that you can use. I found mine really helpful while travelling, and even used it quite a bit at home.





If you are travelling by car, then buying an actual basin or big bucket would be great -- you can use it for ice for picnics and other things, too.





You can also wash out the tub with a little soap or some shampoo, if you are worried about the cleanliness. Or just give him a spongebath (but with a washcloth), and get the dirtiest bits. If you swim in the pool with him, he's probably plenty clean, and just needs a rinse-off in the bath.





(Use a cup to pour water over his head, and give him a wash-cloth to hold over his eyes, and have him look up -- that way, the water won't get in his eyes or nose.)
This might sound snobby, but I honestly would just call the front desk when you get there and ask them to have housekeeping come sterilize the tub. They should understand.





If its too slippery you can always just lay a towel in the bottom of the tub and wring it out when you're done, and idk put it in the sink or whatever for when housekeeping comes to clean the next day.





When hoteling I never worry about making normal demands. I mean you're paying for the room and after all the shows outlining how dirty hotels can be they are usually happy to oblige with cleaning things in front of you (I asked them to come change the sheets once just because I was having a spaz OCD moment). They (I am sure) have heard worse demands.
just take him in the shower with you, on your hip. Have a washer ready to give him a good scrub down and then have a towel ready outside the shower so you can wrap that around him while you wash off. So long as you hold onto him tightly he won't slip off your hip.





If hubby is there then pass him onto hubby once you've washed him off.
We were just in a hotel not too long ago, and I just gave my son a shower, which he loved, while holding him, then had my husband come get him and get him dressed so I could finish my shower. It worked great. I understand where you're coming from about the dirty shower.....have you ever seen that 20/20 special about hotel rooms around the country? Some of those housekeepers are downright lazy when it comes to sanitizing!
Don't you wash yourself while you're on trips? How do you do that?





I take baths with both of my girls every day, since the day each was born. If one needed a bath, in we would go to the shower. I've never once had an issue with a slippery baby.
Try the shower if you think the hotel is dirty. That is if your son doesn't mind the water on his head (my son has a big problem with it). If the shower isn't an option, just try the bath.
If you are that worried put a towel on the bottom of the tub.


I have never been that worried. I always wash it first with some shampoo.
I would just stand him up and wash him really fast. I would not allow him to play in the bath like usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment